Curious about the status of a specific message? Want to know why a certain message failed, or when the Failed event occurred? All this can be yours when you've got a Message-ID!
What Is It?
The Message-ID functions as a unique identifier for the messages being sent. The ID will be composed of a randomly generated string as well as the sending domain or host (similar to an email address in most cases; e.g. email@example.com). Moreover, the Message-ID is unique to that exact message itself, whether the message contains one or multiple recipients. Even if two messages are sent back to back, their Message-IDs will not be the same, as long as our system is generating the Message-ID. (Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message-ID)
Why Should I Care?
Well, the Message-ID is the most efficient method for viewing all the events associated with a specific message. For example, if you are viewing an Accepted event in your logs for a specific message and you want to see when/if a successful Delivered event was returned, simply grab the Message-ID from the Accepted event and enter it into the search box within your Logs inside the Mailgun Control Panel (more details below). This will return ALL events associated with that specific message, allowing you to view the status of the message, as well as the exact time each event occurred.
How Do I Find It?
We'll show you how to do this below:
- First, log in to the Mailgun Control Panel (if you have not already done so).
- Then, within the left-hand navigation pane, click the Sending option to expand its list of suboptions.
- Next, click the Logs suboption.
- Ensure that the domain in question is displayed within the Domain drop-down list towards the upper-right portion of the page.
- Once the event for the message in question is located, click the downward-pointing iconfound all the way to the right of the log entry, which will reveal additional metadata (envelope and header information) for the message.
- The Message-ID value will be listed among this additional event data (the message headers data near the bottom of the metadata), next to the header title of the same name.
Pro-Tip: Whenever you submit a support ticket regarding a specific message or set of messages, it is always a good idea to provide Mailgun Support with the related Message-IDs. This speeds up our investigation, getting you back in action faster!
Mailgun by Sinch has answers! If you have any concerns or questions, please send us a Support ticket using the Support page within your Mailgun Control Panel. Our Support Team will be happy to assist!