Curious about the status of a specific message? Want to know why a certain message failed, or when the Failed event occurred? All this can be yours when you've got a Message-ID!
What Is It?
The Message-ID functions as a unique identifier for the messages being sent. The ID will be composed of a randomly generated string as well as the sending domain or host (similar to an email address in most cases; e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org). Moreover, the Message-ID is unique to that exact message itself, whether the message contains one or multiple recipients. Even if two messages are sent back to back, their Message-IDs will not be the same, as long as our system is generating the Message-ID. (Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message-ID)
Why Should I Care?
Well, the Message-ID is the most efficient method for viewing all the events associated with a specific message. For example, if you are viewing an Accepted event in your logs for a specific message and you want to see when/if a successful Delivered event was returned, simply grab the Message-ID from the Accepted event and enter it into the search box within your Logs inside the Mailgun Control Panel (more details below). This will return ALL events associated with that specific message, allowing you to view the status of the message, as well as the exact time each event occurred.
How Do I Find It?
Inside the Mailgun Control Panel (options displayed down the left-hand side on a dark column), use the following instructions:
- Click on the Sending option on the left-hand side of your Mailgun dashboard
- Click on the specific domain name for which you'd like to view the Logs.
- You will click on the Logs option.
- Scroll through the various events until you find the event you would like to review.
- Once the event is located, click the downward-pointing icon all the way to the right of the log entry, which will reveal additional metadata (envelope and header information) for the message.
- The message-id field will be listed among this additional event data (the message headers data near the bottom of the metadata), next to the header title of the same name.
Pro-Tip: Whenever you submit a support ticket regarding a specific message or set of messages, it is always a good idea to provide Mailgun Support with the related Message-IDs. This speeds up our investigation, getting you back in action faster!
If any questions arise, just reach out to our Support team via the Support option in your Mailgun control panel!