Setting up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is one of the best ways to secure your account from unauthorized access. This is a quick, simple process that requires two elements:
- Something you know: as in, your account’s password
- Something you have: as in, a physical device, like your cell phone or computer
To start, you’ll need to choose a 2FA application that will generate the 6-digit code required to log in. There are a number of applications, but here are a few solid options:
Once your 2FA application is installed and ready to go, it's time to activate 2FA on your Mailgun account. To start, log in to your Mailgun control panel.
If you're using the classic UI (options across the top, with a silver background), use the following instructions:
- Click on your e-mail address in the upper right-hand corner, then select Security.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, under Two-Factor Authentication, and click on Activate 2FA.
- IMPORTANT: Before proceeding, copy the 64-character paper key and store it in a secure location. This key is vital in recovering your account in the event that your 2FA device is lost, stolen, or malfunctioning.
- Do not close out of this popup until 2FA has been successfully activated. If the popup is closed before fully activating 2FA, remove the account from your device and restart step 2.
If you're using the beta UI (options displayed down the left-hand side on a dark column) use these instructions:
- Click on Settings on the bottom left-hand side of your the Mailgun dashboard -> Scroll all the way down to 2FA.
- Click Activate 2FA.
- IMPORTANT: You'll first see a QR code, but, before proceeding, first scroll down and copy the 64-character paper key by clicking Download Key underneath the heading Download your account recovery "paper key." Make sure to store it in a secure location. This key is vital in recovering your account in the event that your 2FA device is lost, stolen, or malfunctioning.
- Open your 2FA application (one of the apps mentioned above, for example) and add a new account, usually by either scanning the QR code displayed in your Mailgun control panel at this panel, or by entering the 16-digit token under the QR code. Both are available in your Mailgun control panel after clicking Activate 2FA.
If any questions arise, just reach out to our Support team via the Support tab in your Mailgun control panel!